Special Artifact

Dear Parents,

Over the last few weeks we have been looking at the questions, “How do we belong?” and “What makes my family unique?” We are planning on having each child bring in an artifact that represents a family tradition or your family background. They will be sharing the object orally with their classmates.

Image result for i am uniqueThis object will be left in our classroom from February 19 until approximately March 7. We will be using the artifacts to learn about the different cultures and family traditions that make up our classroom community.

Please take some time and talk with your child to select a tradition or artifact that represents your heritage, family traditions and/or special events and why it is important to your family. If you cannot find a physical artifact, your child can tell us a story or bring in a picture. 

Students will be answering the following questions:
·      What is your artifact or story?
·      What does it tell us about your family?
·      Why is it important to your family?
·      Who participates?

Some Examples:

·      I can sing a song in Spanish
·      I can teach my friends to say hello and goodbye in Japanese
·      I can show my friends how to write letters in Mandarin
·      I can Irish Dance
·      I can cook perogies
·      I celebrate Chinese New Years/Christmas/Eid/Chanukah
·      This is a (artifact) is important to my family because…
·      Sports that we like to play or watch together are…
·      Special dinners we eat together like…
·      Cultural or religious celebrations.
·      Every Friday we have Family games night.



Thank you very much for your participation!